2017 California Forest Practice Rules and Act
2017 Forest Practice Rule Book: The rulebook is currently being printed by the Office of State Publishing.
2017 Forest Practice Rules and Act on the Web: The 2017 Forest Practice Rules and Act is posted on the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE) Forest Practice website.
Five New Rule Packages for 2017: There are five (5) rule packages adopted by the BOF that took effect on January 1, 2017. They are:
- Listed Anadromous Salmonid Amendments, 2016. – [14 CCR § 895.1 and 14 CCR § 898.2]
- Utility Notice of Overhead Operations Amendments, 2016. – [14 CCR § 895.1 and 14 CCR § 1032.7]
- White and Black Oak Woodland Management Special Prescription. – [14 CCR § 913.4 and 14 CCR § 933.4]
- Drought Mortality Amendments, 2015 – [14 CCR § 1038]
- Less Than 3 Acre Conversion Amendments, 2016. – [14 CCR § 1104.1]
Statutory Changes for 2016: In addition to the rules adopted by the BOF, the legislature passed three bills that changed portions of the Forest Practice Act:
- Assembly Bill (AB) 1958 amended Section 4584 by creating subsection (k) for the exempt activity to restore and conserve California black oak or Oregon white oak woodlands and associated grasslands. In addition this bill created Section 4589 that requires that the Department and the Board to prepare a report to the Legislature of the use, compliance, and effectiveness of exemption and emergency notices.
- Assembly Bill (AB) 2029 amended Section 4584 subsection regard to the Forest Fire Prevention Pilot Project to increase the maximum stump diameter to twenty-six (26) inches. This bill also created Section 4589 for the monitoring of exemption and emergency notices.
- Senate Bill (AB) 836 amended PRC § 4602.6, and PRC § 5093.68 in regard, to timber operations stop orders and claim against public entities. This change in the statute directs the timber operator to submit claims for compensation and damages resulting from the stopping of timber operations to the Department of General Services instead of the Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board.
If you would like a copy of the 2017 rulebook in WORD, please request it from me by email.
William D. Solinsky, RPF #2297
Forester III, THP Administration
CA Department of Forestry and Fire Protection
1416 9th Street, P.O. Box 944246